Sunday, September 6, 2009

On...Creatine

I'm chilling out to Brandi Carlile on the train shuttling me back to New York after an extraordinarily blessed Labor Day Weekend in Provincetown, Massachusetts. One might say I had too many Planter's Punches...and Midori Coladas...and Mark-a-ritas...and Patron shots...but I say it resurrects faltering vigor, pushing me to hit the gym and take on my new training regime for the new fall season.

Since it is the start of something new, I thought it might be fun to try something else new-ish. It's been about 6 years since I've used creatine as an intrinsic part of my supplement plan...it's a product surrounded by bullet points of truths and fallacies. Here are the most common:

Fact:

- your body produces its own creatine
- creatine makes your muscles bigger and stronger
- creatine can increase endurance
- 2 - 5 grams/day is plenty; avoid bloating by paying attention to your body's reaction and adjust amount accordingly


Fiction:

- taking creatine jeopardizes your health
- creatine produces identical results in everyone
- creatine works all by itself (ie you still have to kill it in the gym)

According to Shawn Talbott, director of research at www.supplementwatch.com, it's best to take creatine before a workout and, preferably, have it mixed with a carb/protein shake. The sugar in the carbs will ensure speedy delivery of the creatine and amino acids (ie protein) to the muscles, thereby increasing muscle protein synthesis by 800 percent...

WERQ!


No comments:

Post a Comment